it's not easy being green

So our best man/friend married a beautiful blonde I'll call Lisa, because that's her name. I try my very best, calling on the Lord, to not harbor jealous feelings when I am around her but she does not make it easy. She is gloriously organized, in her home and I'm pretty sure, in her brain. I think she came this way, along with other features like Sweet 2.0 and CraftyScript.

I do my best to hide my insecurity and search for lipstick that compliments my olive complexion.

They are coming over today for football and lunch. It will look a little like this: Greg and Cam will hoot and holler while I will fawn over their baby girl, Sage.

It's tough for me to be calm. I want to impress her. I want my house to be perfect, but it's not. I opted out of cleaning last night - I saw Dan in Real Life with my best girlfriends. A much needed night out.

I look around this morning and have decided my house in not that bad. It's warm and inviting and I can't wait to smooch on that baby, see our friends. I think I'll do one last sweep, baby-proof the debris, call it good.

Fall 2007 is shaping up to be my plunge into lowered expectations, caring less. I can't decide if this is good news, but after decades of striving, this calmness, this letting go feels amazing.

So I'm off to church, and full of wonder, doing the mental limbo. How low should I go?
_______
Technorati Tags:, , , ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know that feeling. But you know in your heart, you are always in awe of those homes you go into that have so much love -- and yet nothing matches. I'm not saying this is your house -- I'm saying that it really doesn't matter to her -- and you know that. Smooching the baby -- what a way to spend an afternoon!!
Anonymous said…
I love your house, too. And I'm mostly okay with ours, also. Some days I'm a little alarmed at my lack of attention to sticky, dusty places but overall, I concentrate on the joy I get from doing whatever I've done to avoid housework...
Amanda said…
You are so funny. Don't beat yourself up, there is a natural ebb and flow in the areas of order and structure for those of us that do not have Sweet 2.0 and CratScript as standard features.
katydidnot said…
two words for you: roomba booyah

i just bought one. it's good to vacuum while not actually moving from the couch.
Anonymous said…
Glad you went out with the girls and had a good time. Your boy seemed to have a good time with mine. They must have gone through a couple hundred caps in the cap guns.

Hope all the baby smoochin was fun and you got to relax in your own element.

-Stu
lapoflux said…
Can you bottle that and sell it?
Think of the people you could help (Oh wait, you'd put an awful lot of therapists out of a job).
Glad you feel zen.
This post resonated with me hugely. I've been doing a lot of letting go the last few months, and funnily enough, my house and life feel more organized than when I spent every spare moment worrying and obsessing. Peace is invaluable, I think.
Mrs. G. said…
I think this is a good thing. I know so many people who avoid having friends over for dinner because their house is a mess. When it's all said and done, it's about family and friends. Fellowhip...who cares about the dust.
Amy said…
I love this post. I have been trying to do the same.

I had a friend over for lunch, and instead of cleaning like crazy I tidied up and called it a day.

It did feel glorious to let go of some of that self-imposed pressure.
Anonymous said…
Lisa, you make me feel this way. You are so amazing, I just feel inadequate! I hate having people over to my home because of the size. I guess in the long run it makes me seem not very welcoming.

Popular Posts