appearances

Greg came home minutes after we pulled in last night, ready to grab some dinner down the road. I invite these moments, a break from cooking. But then I looked down at myself - I was still in my grubby workout clothes, unkempt hair, no makeup. Mama Milton was looking sau-cy. I had to laugh because until recently, I never stepped out the door unless I had makeup on, and my hair was fixed. I didn't even take a break, when I had babes in diapers or in the depths of depression, postpartum. No, I was manic makeup mom - too afraid to not keep up appearances.

Now granted, I probably need makeup more than ever but I just can't justify slabbing on the goo if I'm going to sweat it off anyway at the gym or if I am sitting here cozy with my beloved computer, or scrubbing a toilet.

It's just not as important to me as it used to be. I'd like to think it's because I've grown lazier become enlightened. (It's Friday; throw me a bone.)

I recently went to a baby shower, straight from the gym. All the ladies looked lovely, in their fall skirts and cute tights. I donned a cap and hoped I didn't stink. I felt a little self-conscious, a little exposed sitting at the table. But I turned my attention to the conversation at hand - I had kept my gym date/therapy session and made this special occasion, after getting the kids off to school all before 10 am. My heart was full, I'd accomplished a lot. The only thing missing was my vanity.

So, last night, I changed quickly, ran a brush through my hair. I turned the corner and caught Greg grimacing.

"What?" My confidence plunging.

Then he gestured to Zack, in a pair of old sweats and bright green froggie boots

"Tell me he didn't wear that to school today."

I just shrugged and smiled.

Because of course he did. You better believe it.
________
Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,

Comments

Mrs. G. said…
I have found that wearing make up infrequently can work for me. Everyone gets used to my natural washed out look and then when I put on a little mascara, blush and lip gloss, I get all kinds of compliments and oohs and ahhs. The contrast, I suppose. I love your kid.
Anonymous said…
Most people wear too much makeup, it makes my job harder than if they wore none to be honest...

The biggest thing is to make sure your foundation matches your natural skin tone, or else you will apply it so thickly you stand no chance of anything even faintly natural looking...
Anonymous said…
We need to make sure Zack and Paige don't go on a date without a Fashion Police check. She went to school yesterday in white stretchy pants with pink hearts and a blue sweater with white hearts on it. I could not watch her move too fast, it made me dizzy. 70's Elton John would be proud.

Glad you got to go out. Hope it was fun.

-Stu
Kelly said…
'The only thing missing was my vanity.' That line was stupendous.
Spagirl said…
You feminist you. At least you were wearing a bra, weren't you?
Yes, but believe me when I tell you that I do that just for me...
and it happens to be for the greater good.
OhTheJoys said…
The Mayor wore army camo pants with a horizontally striped shirt in garish non-matching colors. He was so happy.
Beck said…
Yeah, my standards are just gooooone, too. AND I am currently having a CRAZY outbreak of adult onset acne. I am hot.
Amy said…
You know, I was thinking this morning how I never look at myself in the mirror anymore. I mean, I look to see that there isn't any spinach in my teeth, but I don't really LOOK.

And that's OK.
MaverickMommy said…
I would assume that Froggie Boots would make up for everything?
katydidnot said…
at least you weren't wearing froggie boots. take what you can get.
Yes! the line about "The only thing missing was my vanity."

I remember in my new moms group (four years ago, when my first son was a newborn), one of the moms said, "You know, when they're first born, it's okay to wear sweats or whatever, but at what point will it be 'Oh, my, she's really let herself go?'"

When she said this, our kids were four MONTHS old. My son is now four YEARS old, and my second one just turned one year. I am so way beyond 'letting myself go.'

Popular Posts