how I became to be mama milton; one decade later

You came into the world, tardy and a bit cantankerous. Those first few weeks were tough; you seemed misinformed. I kept waiting for you to sleep more, like the books said, but instead you focused your energies on your colicky endeavors, proving that you could too howl from 2 -7 pm, everyday.

(Mama Milton was born and she was afraid for her sanity.)

Then one day, you stopped screaming. There was a transformation.

First art exhibit, Portland - 7

I don't know how we lucked out; you are such a good kid. Yes, you are prone to tears over imaginary bunnies accidentally left on the bus. Yes, you are high octane emotional, but I know it's because you were born with such a big heart. I've watched you bend yourself into a pretzel, giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Not everyone in the world is so generous, so I worry about you; sometimes I wish you were a little grittier.

But then I remember when you were six and you saw a feature on TV about Locks of Love and cried until I promised to consider letting you donate your hair.

I know your Dad didn't want to sign on. It choked me up too. But how could we refuse? Your kindness moves you, and we are just along for the ride.


Lately, you've put away the tights and the skirts and the hair ribbons. You're older now and while you still love to write little stories and draw everyday - we keep the mill in business - you come home, rain or shine, and beg to kick a soccer ball or swing a tennis racket for an hour or so after school. I stand at the window and watch you undo the day at school, where you forced out of your introverted shell. You need a little solitude, to keep afloat. I understand that better than you know.

Girl Scout camp, 2006

What I can't seem to get is how you got to be 10. It just doesn't seem possible.
Then, there you are: Tall and strong and capable. Sweet. Creative. Sarcastic. You're all I hoped you'd be, back when we spent that first night together, when you stared out at me with such big, aware eyes.
*
Happy birthday, Lex.
Love, Mama
(Oh, Aunt Lori posted too. She was over the moon when you came; A GIRL, like she hoped.)

Comments

Jennifer S said…
What a sweet birthday tribute. *sniff* Lovely.
Beck said…
Ten! What a beautiful girl you have - and I love how you write about her.
Daisy said…
You have an amazing girl -- she's beautiful.

Keep up the good work, Mom! Based on your beautiful tribute, you're doing a great job with her!
Mrs. G. said…
Happy Birthday to your most generous and beautiful girl. Good work Mom.
K. said…
Lovely post about a truly lovely girl.
What an incredible girl...perfectly paired with and incredible mum.
Spagirl said…
Lexi,

You've grown up so much and you are becoming quite the young lady. We enjoy watching you grow!
Love you sweetie!
Aw, how adorable! Happy birthday to Lex!!!!!
Lori said…
yes...little did I know that in the future I would have two little boys, and she would be our only girl. I wouldn't trade my boys in for anything, but so happy to have a wonderful niece! Hope the day was fabulous!!
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Lexi.

I love that tree picture.

-Stu
stephanie said…
Wonderful, friend. Your girl is indeed thoughtful & kind.

Hope the day was Lextastic :)
Amy said…
What a lovely girl, inside and out. Happy birthday to her, and also to you!
JCK said…
Happy Birthday to your sweet girl. The donating hair story turned me to mush...
Christi said…
You are such a cool girl, Lexi!

I love the picture of you outdoors with your pigtails.
lapoflux said…
What a lovely post! 10 years old - I can imagine it flew by.
katydidnot said…
happy birthday to yoooouuu
happy birthday to yoooouuu
happy birthday dear leeexiiiii
happy birthdaaaayyy toooo yoooouuuu
Happy Birthday to Mama Milton and Lex! What a beautiful post. Sniff, sniff. The Matron is a sucker for these things.

Popular Posts