the girl who stopped by Powell's books

This is how I know my sister loves me: She has no use for books but she called me yesterday, breathless, to let me know that Joshilyn Jackson was being interviewed on a local radio station, rightnow. Hurry.

(Yes, that author. Lori understands my crazy.)

This is how I know Bad Mom loves me: She read gods of Alabama, though she had been sick and weary with the plague and crazy busy, just in time for the reading at Powell's last night.
It's a wonder to be understood.

And here's the thing: I can nearly adore, nay worship in some ungodly fashion, an author from a distance, and maybe, just maybe, leave a comment on their blog, but when I see them face to face, I feel like a damn groupie and stammer.


Maybe I'm nervous because of that wildcat, inches away from my skull.




Laurel, one of the main characters in Jackson's book, is an art quilter. Joshilyn had this one commissioned, just like one in the book. There is a real human tooth, lodged in the toe of the boot. Really.



I can't manage a few words along the lines of, 'your work inspires me'. Or 'I love your blog'.

Thankfully, I had Stephanie with me so I didn't chicken out asked if I could get my picture with her.













Then she suggested the '1, 2, 3 Betty thing', which made her look adorable.












Me? Nervous and nerdy? That would be a go.

Still, hearing a published author I admire describe writing a crappy book, tossing it, and starting anew, with a braver spirit gave me courage.

(I should have taken Stephanie's picture too, but I am such a dope when I am twitterpated. I'm sorry.)

Comments

lapoflux said…
That's so cool! Glad you got to meet her - and I probably would have babbled like a baby...
TJ Brown said…
It was amazing wasn't it?
Wow.
Teri
Anonymous said…
At least you go to these things! There are always craft-book signings and craft/sewing openings, but I never go. I'm too chicken. You're the brave one in my book.
Anonymous said…
Glad you and The Woman went last night and you got your photo op.

You really need to go to BlogHer (I can watch the herd).

-Stu
Lori said…
Yes, that is how I display my love to my sister...it was unusual that I had that station on, and it was in-between my vacuuming, so I was breathless. And I didn't want Lisa to miss any of it. None. Glad you had fun last night (stocker!!)!!

Oh, I did pick up my first held book at the library (the one at the mall...my kind of library) yesterday - not that it is a famous novel, but it is a book. :)

I agree with Stu too...if there is any conference you should go to, go to Blogher. Do it.
flutter said…
How can the internets handle all that cute?
JCK said…
Oh, I understand completely. Authors..the ones who conjure up all sorts of wonders from their imaginations..they are the ones who make me nervous.

I HAVE to read that book. So cool that you got to meet her!
JCK said…
I'm back to say go to BlogHer! I'd love to meet you!
Suzanne said…
Very cool! And I happen to think you look adorable when you are "nerdy and nervous".
Mrs. G. said…
You and Stephanie can't be stopped. Good for you for heading out to meet an author you love and admire. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I love the pictures!

I have not read anything by JJ, but after your endorsement, she is at the top of my list.
stephanie said…
It was a super fun evening - thank you for the invitation and for driving. And watching me eat.

I'm sorry I didn't notice the wildcats near your head in both pics, but I do think you look adorable. Next time I'll do the 1-2-3 Betty with her, no worries.

And now my chant/cheer:
BLOGHER BLOGHER BLOGHER! Please come & share that fantastic room with me!
Christi said…
That was awesome, Lisa. I love the nervous and nerdy you...that was the cutest thing I have seen in a long time.
katydidnot said…
holy cow! i just found this book on my bedside table. i can't pull my nose out of it. so! envious!

Popular Posts