first draft

"Talent is long patience."
Gustav Flaubert

I've taken pains to line up some time to sit here and work on writing fiction, finishing a short story or working on My Novel. The one that exists primarily in my head. I avoid talking about it much here because I am a) struggling, staring at an empty screen & b) I sound like I am vying for the American Idol, dopey and dreamy-eyed, and perhaps, delusional.

But be that as it may, I've made this goal a priority and I want see it through, despite my efforts to the contrary.

See me cleaning my house and watching Bette Davis in a less complimentary version of Elizabeth, in the Virgin Queen - like I need more Tudor-obsession in my life.

(Joan Collins as Beth! I could spend all day! Avoiding writing!)

By mid-afternoon, I clutched my laptop, closed my eyes and channeled my best brave Anne Lamott, minus the dreadlocks - because I just can't pull it off - and pushed my way through a 1000 words.

Something tells me it isn't going to be any easier today. Nothing worthy ever is.

Comments

flutter said…
You've read Bird by Bird, yes?
flutter said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
flutter said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said…
Just start writing. Just start. The first few sentences may suck. But start, and it will come.
Daisy said…
I don't know diddly squat about writing and the formal process of "I am now writing a book" kind of thing, so I have no advice to offer. :-) Although, what if you tried writing it as if you were writing a letter to a friend? Just a thought...

Keep going though -- keep going!
If I weren't about to curl up for a nap I'd be inspired by that to work on my novel again.

For the first time in two months.

~sigh~
Anonymous said…
Go Lisa, go.

-Stu
K. said…
You go, girl!
John-Michael said…
Lisa ... please do me a favor. Tell me your story. Just sit down and have a comfortable visit with me ... and type as much as you want to share of it for that installment. I will be awaiting each new installment.

Put yourself in that mindset ... telling me the story ... and write it, not to the page, but to ready and interested eyes.
Beck said…
I don't think Anne can pull off dreadlocks, either.
I'm so jealous of you sitting down and writing a BOOK. All I do is blog.
OhTheJoys said…
Just write.

and write.

and write.

xo,
J
stephanie said…
You're Good Enough, You're Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like You!

hehee. Think Stuart Smalley and you can do anything! Well, once you stop chuckling.

I think you can I think you can.

Tomorrow is Joshilyn Jackson! Yippee!
JCK said…
1000 words is no small potatoes, girlie!

I have been told that I must read "Bird by Bird." And you must, too.
Jennifer S said…
I love the Flaubert quote.

A couple of months ago, I set 1000 words a day as my own goal, counting forward to how long it would take me to finish my book if I did that. Well, I haven't come even close to that goal (hmm...started blogging right after I made it).

I will say this, that 1000 words comes pretty fast if I just get my backside in the chair to do it.

So keep writing. Just keep going. And I will, also.

Popular Posts