multiple choice: church-going edition

Good deeds are best done in secret. I think Jesus said that, or something similar and I agree. But sometimes it's hard to be quiet when something just seems so right. So I am willing to risk sounding flashy to give you my take on Love Portland.

The kids and I signed up to help at one of the poorest schools in Oregon; to clean, paint, do whatever was needed. I came around the corner, and was halted by a woman with vacant eyes, dragging two very small kids across a busy street. I slammed on my brakes, startled. She didn't seem to notice, she just kept walking, dropping cigarette ash on the little boy's head. He seemed used to it.

Her apathy caught me by the throat. She had visited desperate a long time ago; now she didn't care anymore.

It's not just the lack of money, it's the lack of hope.

Lexi, Zack and I scrubbed little chairs that afternoon in the elementary school where I like to think those tiny kids will go someday. It was just one act but I plan to go back. I won't give up.
Technorati Tags:, , , ,

Comments

Daisy said…
It is heartbreaking, there's no doubt. And you're right -- it's the lack of hope. "Why bother?" is their motto. "Because you were destined for great things and God has a plan for you," is how I'd answer. But, who would believe that if their self-esteem is in the toliet already? Keep on doing good, keep on serving Lisa.

Galatians 6:8-11 says
8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

Popular Posts