www.flickr.com

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

sensible center

I heard the phrase a couple of weeks ago, another term for us independents, often scoffed at and silly in such a hot race.

I don't belong to either party. I'm egregiously liberal in some respects; surprisingly conservative in others, and though neither party has captured my allegiance, democracy makes me heart race.

I believe that leadership may be crucial, but action begins in my backyard.

I believe in being the people and the country I want my kids to inherit. I believe our finest years are ahead of us because despite all the crap, we can be an amazing, good people.

I am heading to the drop off early this morning, our ballots in hand, hopeful we will get it right, right about now, when it counts.

9 comments:

Saucy said...

In spite of my post yesterday, I would consider myself an independent as well. Did you know that in Canada we have a three-party system? It's wonderful. Right, middle, left. We've got it all, baby.

brandy101 said...

I am the same way. Sometimes I feel like a political orphan - esp in past elections when I was really voting *against* the other guy than for someone I supported. I am so glad to not only support, but be involved with not one but two campaigns this year. I have 2 yard signs on my lawn: one for a democrat(President) and one for a republican (congressional race). I am proud to be independent!

Karen said...

It is a breath of fresh air to read your blog and know there are clear minded people still out there. You are making a difference.

lapoflux said...

Well phrased. Glad the insanity will be over, one way or another, for a little while.

In our own backyard. Yup.

Kimberly said...

Beautifully put.

Jennifer H said...

I love how you said all of this. So articulate and smart.

Madge said...

i claim to be a democrat, but i think it's a lot more complicated than that for me......

flutter said...

Exactly.

Nora Bee said...

The way you describe being an independent makes me think that maybe I'm one too...