Honoring the Merchant Marines


My Grandpa died before I had a digital camera; I don't have a picture of him scanned to honor him today. I think he would say the flag is enough.

He was a patriot.

Papa Bill served in the Merchant Marines in WWII. He was too young to enlist otherwise. He wanted to serve his country. Eager even. And it breaks my heart that he never received any benefits, the GI bill, anything except a sense of satisfaction.


Surprised? I was too. The mariners provided the supplies to our troops during the war and suffered the highest casuality rate - 1 in 26 - but were denied benefits. It's hard to believe but true. And last year, a bill that would provide $1000 a month to the remaining mariners or their surviving wives was defeated.


It's just a great shame.


If you would like to learn more about the Merchant Marines, click here.


And please, if you would like to lend your support to the 2007 bill to provide promised benefits, click here.


Thanks.
picture courtesy of geekphilosopher.com

Comments

It's so difficult to understand how our country disrespects veterans in so many ways while being so gung-ho about the military at the same time. It's a disgrace. I'll be supporting that bill.
Anonymous said…
Great link Lisa. Sent my message to Brian Baird this morning.

Popular Posts