Nepotism

I caught the end of Oprah yesterday, proving I am that demographic. I think she is in Africa, opening her new school, so it was a repeat. (How do I know these things? It must be in the water.) The show had been about social and economic class in America - I tuned in just in time to see Warren Buffett's granddaughter. Turns out that when he's not handing over big bucks to Bill and Melinda Gates, he's teaching his offspring to work for their keep. His heirs are provided with an education, complete with room and board. Thereafter, they make their own way. I imagine that they would never actually starve; there is a safety net. But they don't live on a trust fund. She seemed grounded, and normal. (It was a refreshing contrast to the Paris Hiltons of the world. Don't even get me started.) I would hope this is how I would handle a fortune. I hope I am doing a good job with what I have. The world can do without another generation of 'entitled' citizens; it's good to work for what you have.

I am now prepared to come into a large sum of money.

(I have a rich fantasy life. I also contemplate other likely scenarios that could just happen. For instance, what color eye shadow should I use on a third eye, should it erupt from my forehead. Very useful stuff.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I actually laughed out loud at your 3rd eye comment, damn that's funny.

Popular Posts