cracks

It was bound to happen; all at once the good will and teamwork broke down and I was left with two tired, overwrought kids I've come to think of as Weepy and Irritated McNeedy.

(Sometimes they are trendy and use my surname, Exhaustion, but I hesitate to hyphenate the two for it would be cumbersome at their new school I imagine.)

There were no groceries purchased this week, save a trip for some produce after swimming lessons, and even swimming couldn't undo the damage.

They cried at every turn, and I lashed out, proving once again that I will not be taking home the mother of the year award.

Even as I snarled, vacuuming before a showing, I knew I was wrong and needed to knock it off. I knew that if I was feeling edgy, so were they.

(And the fish, well, they were nearly frying and I thought of Stuart.)

By Thursday morning, I felt like I was an ad for some messed up energy drink: Seize the Day, now with meth.

I'm happy to report we turned the corner today. I saw some friends and their scrumptious babies this morning. I took a nap before dinner. I have plans that don't involve home improvement, besides some good ol' mopping. I even imagine I'm going to indulge in a little Buffy tonight, nuzzling my good and imperfect kids- we are but a matching set - and we will try to fill the cracks, in a house that heard too little laughter this week.

Comments

Sorry for the cracking...I think sometimes we need to crack a bit to remind ourselves to put us back together.

Time for an indulgence or two. Be gentle with yourself, 'kay?
Jennifer S said…
I'm going to need some of that energy drink. Hope things are better now. Sending good thoughts that the house sells soon...
Saucy said…
Take it easy, dear lady. My cracks are getting deeper and isn't the summer about relaxing? Must put that on my to-do list. I found a peach smoothie at my local mall and have indulged three days in a row (with a small shot of vodka) and that's really helping.
lapoflux said…
Hope that things have calmed down a bit since this post (I see from your twitter you have groceries).
Why is it kids cry when we're on the verge of it too? Oh yes, because they're kids and can let all those feelings out. Being a grown up - bleurgh.
Really hope that this week is easier and that someone buys the house right away so you can stop having to live on display. Big hugs
(and we're having a fish day here today... those mother of the year awards are going to be interesting!)
glad we could help with getting you around that corner on friday! It was good to see you.

Popular Posts