stay at home mom. that's a good one.

Zack shares the kitchen with me, slinging batter in the waffle maker while I scramble to make lunches.

Lexi is still recovering from her mother's bad judgment; something about nodding my head to two consequent sleepovers that resulted in many sleepy tears by Sunday.

And I race off to Jazzercise, and to the local produce store, and write long lists and wonder why I thought I might be bored when school started.

The cupboard looked bare; my plate is still full.

Many of my friends have returned to jobs now, and I can't really pinpoint where my time goes. The cruise director of this ship.

*****
About a month ago, I stopped by the first Borders I worked at, when Zack was a baby, and spotted two familiar faces. We chitchatted and caught up and I let the words slip: I am writing a novel.

I can say this to just about anyone and they may ask questions or marvel or roll their eyes when the name for a character comes to me and I'm a little too excited about it.

But these are booksellers. They consume books. They read everything. They have big brains and bigger interest in fledgling authors.

Telling them was making a commitment. Wearing the bauble. Proclamation.

I better find the hours that get away from me.

Comments

Shana said…
Yes, once you put it out there, it's real, isn't it? I am considering a writing workshop at Clark College that starts later this month, just to dab my pinky toe into the pool of maybe writing something someday but, no, not really. How's that for commitment?
Oh the bravery required to do that! Good luck finding those hours!
Mrs. G. said…
Sounds like it's time for two pages a day.
Jane said…
Hi Lisa. Popped by via David. Kudos for you for saying it out loud. I'm still trying to find the time to write. Just don't know where to start really.
Stu said…
Hey, we were part 2 of the sleepovers. She was fine when she left our house. Must have been something you said ;)
david mcmahon said…
Welcome to the club, Lisa. That's great news. If I can help in any way, just holler - especially about finding the time to write.

I use a VERY simple method.
~Swankymama said…
I've been a stay-at-home-mom for 13 years. People who work think I sit at home and eat bon-bons and watch soap operas.

The truth is...I am as busy as I have EVER been. I don't know where the days go.
That IS cool. That is VERY cool. With your eloquent writing skills, I'm certain the novel will be FANTAB and the time will find YOU.
flutter said…
seems those hours are well spent
Anonymous said…
Oh, good on you girl. You've said it, now do it. Been writing as long as I can remember, still am, can't not write. Yesterday I took my courage in my shaking hands and submitted something...sh! It's a secret...if I tell anyone it won't happen. Oh dear!
Tricia said…
Saying it out loud is kind of like attending a 12-step program, I think.
Saz said…
well done on POTD....good luck with the novel..
Moannie is also a writer and is editing one of her novels as type..
see her at

http://theviewfromthisend.blogspot.com/

and

http://theviewfromthisend.blogspot.com/

all the best

saz
Suzanne said…
Oh yeah... once you say it, you are committed. Good for you, though! I'll race ya'. We can see who gets their first draft finished first. (Although it's counter-productive to my cause, my money is sort of on you...)
Beck said…
I think I should tell people I'm writing a novel, too, and then maybe I will.
Although I doubt it. I AM pretty lazy.

Popular Posts