www.flickr.com

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

end of the trail

on the trail

We took a trip to Oregon City - where I was born - to see the Bound for Oregon exhibit at the End of the Oregon Trail historic site, where we learned about buffalo chips (not for munching).

Those pioneer women were solid I tell you. One woman spent months, walking 2000 miles to an unknown land, feeding and caring for eight kids AND still found the time, while her party slept, to light a candle and write.

That put a smile on my face.

{Here's the rest of the set. And Wordless Wednesday for those who can hold their tongue.)

14 comments:

Cheri said...

That woman with the candle was reincarnated as a blogger.

carrie said...

they sure don't look very tired having just trekked down the trail!!

happy wednesday

texas_sweetie said...

wow this is so cool.how did you do this? I like the effect of the photo.

Happy WW!

Check out mine too!

Sleeping Beauty
Meditating

stephanie said...

I love this historical stuff, and the kids who can indulge us in learning about it.

Great pic :)

Lisa Milton said...

I uploaded the picture to flickr and used picnik - sepia and vignette.

Regina said...

this is classic! what a nice shot!
happy ww!

jennyr said...

that's cool! 2000miles? i couldn't even make it to a mile walk,hahaha! very cool story!

flutter said...

How could you not be happy with those faces?

jennifer h said...

Hearing stories like that,about that woman, makes me feel like a big sissy for the things I complain about. It's great that you took your kids to the site.

Great picture, and I'm glad to know I can make that effect on Picnik. Haven't used it a lot yet, but love it so far.

Cara said...

I love the picture, the sepia tone really gives it a great look/feel.

**"Liza"** said...

hehehe that is really cute! Have a nice day and happy WW!
Ohh check mine if you have a chance here

Tootsie Farklepants said...

"Walk 2000 miles" and here I bitch and moan when I have a layover on a cross country flight. I'm such a baby.

K. said...

Those pictures are completely darling - love that skinny raccoon! :P

Beck said...

I would have died after five minutes of being a pioneer. I am not very hardy.