the DIY holiday

Remember how I alluded to homemade, DIY gift ideas for the holiday season ahead? Sure you do. I think it was a teaser, early in this NaBloPoMo venture. And time is breathing down our necks, and I've failed to deliver. The weeks leading up to Thanksgiving really are ideal for making gifts, but I don't know about you, but we are experiencing a Germ Invasion. So, I'm cramming.





Christmas, 1974
Papa Bill, Lori, Grandad, Nana, Mom, Dad

Mama Milton, before she was a mama

and the scary, yet lovingly homemade yellow polyester doll

Growing up, money was tight - especially when we were little. My Mom improvised, made most of our gifts, last minute. Now that I have kids, it pains me that she spent her birthday, Christmas eve, creating gifts for us. Even life-size jaundice dolls. I can't lie - she did scare me a bit, not that I let on. If someone else made, let's say, unpleasant commentary about things my mama made for me they risked seeing my unpleasant side; I've found eye jabbing is quite an effective tool in teaching manners.


I didn't get the seamstress gene, so I leave you today with a booze recipe - I'm not sure what that says about me. But Limoncello is stylish and fun and if you want to make it (and I do! I do!) you've got to jump on it now. Or pretty close to now.



{It'd make a lovely gift for New Year's Eve too.}

*****Mama Milton's DIY idea #1: Slow Travel Italy's recipe for Limoncello*****

*****

Technorati Tags:, , , , ,

Comments

CamiKaos said…
I like it!!! I may try to make some. Next weekend we are going to have a big fish smoke, maybe after my part of that is done (I just brine them I leave the smoking to Mr. Kaos and the neighbor) I can start up a batch of it... My family, they love their liquor.

And to think I was just going to make my brother and his girlfriend a wallet and purse from duct tape.
Mrs. G. said…
That doll really is kind of scary...sort of like a jaundiced Holly Hobby. But you sure were cute.

Thanks for the recipe. You're my kind of cook.
katydidnot said…
what is with the jaundiced girl sitting next to you?
Anonymous said…
I'll make sure to get my hand up between my eyes next time I am being a smart ass around you.

Post your recipe for kahlĂșa too. (I'm almost out)

-Stu
tz said…
Oh, thanks so much for the recipe! I will so try and make it for this something-to-give-to-the-neighbors-gift! It beats baking a million cookies!

And loved the '74 picture, looks like so many pictures from my own childhood!
Anonymous said…
Love the idea! Who needs more stuff?
where did you find the Advent Conspiracy button at the bottom of this post? I looked on the AC website but I didn't see it.

Popular Posts