Put the beast down

Don't worry. No living creatures were injured in the writing of this post. Though I have been rightly accused, to my face, of being a MEAN Mom, I wouldn't go taking my aggressions out on the Milton Zoo inhabitants.

I was aiming for the blasted TV.

I let the kids cozy up to the thing for an afternoon, and I have been paying for it ever since this lapse in judgement. They want to marry it. They want to live in sin with it. They want to hug and kiss and fondle it. Or in a pinch, the remote. They want to raise a litter of remote controls.

I told them to dream on. And go find a book.

It worked. I may just unplug the thing.

Comments

Suzanne said…
Uggg, I've been having this same issue at my house all summer. Normally I like Spongebob, but after two months of reruns, I kind of want to barf or scream.
Exactly. I noticed they are the same 5 episodes all summer long. Yet. YET. My kids don't seem to care.

But once I put my angry foot down -I said some bad words - they found other things to do.

May summer be good to you.
Anonymous said…
They get bigger, Lisa, and it becomes the computer (with television and stereo in the background!). Do you know that "blee-de-doop" sound that instant messaging makes? Think of hearing that every 40 seconds! I'll be interested to know if you win this battle with the beast.
Anonymous said…
We have a set amount of time they can spend on the computer or the TV. Once that time is up it is gone for the day. It is sort of like their allowance, spend it on what you want (within limits) but that is all you get. It makes them feel a little in control and we don't have to be arbitrary about time. -Stu
Anonymous said…
Yes -- so happy that there is NO TV at the lake.
Anonymous said…
TV, internet, text messages.... it never ends.....take the free time as a blessing.... actually once i set the kids up for a movie night and then me and hubby had alone time! i even bought lingerie from pamperedpassions (i think a dot com...) and we had some fun (scandilous i know!). but when the sun is shining i only let them have an hour of tv....and usually discourage it when it is the middle of the day....

Popular Posts