To each their own

Okay, I give up. I'll admit it. We aren't reading Harry Potter, not a page. I may be the only recent bookseller that hasn't embraced the little wizard. I always figured I would be reading them with the kids someday, so I wasn't in a hurry. Well, that and the fact that I have heard folks describe it in such bloody detail, my curiousity was satiated.

Over the summer, we tried listening to the first few books on CD. (My in-laws sent them as a family gift.) The kids and I would start coloring and hanging out, until they lost interest and ran off to play. I've tried reading to them. Still no go. They just aren't feeling it. I thought all kids gobbled this stuff up.

I feel like a failure.

On the bright side, they enjoyed The Mayor of Central Park. Even Zack followed the storyline and caught all the characters. They love listening to The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. (It's required reading in the nerd recruitment program.) And Lexi is hip on The Dark Hills Divide, holed up in a corner, in sweet reading bliss these days.

So all is not a loss; we will just remain culturally backwards for now.

Comments

Popular Posts