home is where the heart is

Mama, courtesy of Zack Milton
Zack took this a few years ago. The chair has moved since, but it really is my cozy spot.

I read here, write here. I have slept in that chair; nursed colicky babies here. The kids used to snuggle there together, two peas in a pod. The three of us still melt in a book, smashed together, although now my kids are becoming all elbows and knees, I need ElastiGirl arms to pull it off.

old school

My heart grows restless, when the sun creeps out for a few months in the northwest. I'm apt to pack a lunch, paper and a mountain of books and head to old parks, where my kids play on playground equipment deemed just too dangerous for today's fragile youth.

(I'm boxing up so we can 'stage' our house and saying good-bye to the other loves in my home: the big trees that dance all winter, a view of Mt. St. Helens from my front yard. Blackberry bushes. I packing my bookshelves today. And then I am off to the pool to watch my merkids splash and chase away the relocation blues on the hottest day of the year.)

*****
Thanks, Mrs. G, for hosting our open houses today. You're a peach.

Comments

Karen Jensen said…
I will bring over a bottle of shiraz for a packing break.
Jennifer S said…
That's a great cozy chair. I have one, too, and it's seen all the things you described. We barely all fit in it now, the three of us, but we give it a good try.

Thanks for sharing yours. (And I love your attitude about the old playgrounds. I agree.)
Beautiful photo, great chair! The one I nursed the babies on is green and we still have it!
This Girl said…
A merry-go-round! My kids have never had the pleasure of playing on one of those.

I have the moving blues too. We are moving 500 miles away on Thursday and it's hard to say good-bye to all of my good friends. I can sympathize.
oliver rain said…
What a lovely photo of you & your chair. I have one like that though I share your discomfort of the all the elbows and knees when my girl joins me there now.
Mrs. G. said…
Your chair does look comfy. I'm glad your kids aren't playground sissies-somehow I knew you wouldn't allow that.
Deirdre said…
Love the playground photo. The merry go round was my favorite playground equipment. It could never go fast enough, even when I was hanging on for dear life.
Anonymous said…
What a lovely cozy spot!

All that packing and staging ... ugh! We'll be doing the same in a few months, so you have my sympathy. Good luck.
Anonymous said…
Such a wonderful summertime merry-go-round photo. Good luck with your move.
What fun is a non-dangerous playground?!
TWo great shots of two Important moments. Love the chair. I want to sit there! And my favorite playground apparatus ever...do they make those anymore or have the darned *lawyers* wrecked that??!!
brandy101 said…
merry-go-rounds are the BEST!

Best wishes with the staging and selling!
Lori said…
Did you see that that great merry-go-round is GONE?? We were just on it two weeks ago! Oh shoot!
JCK said…
Oh..I remember those merry go round looking things. What are they called?

Love your cozy chair.

Sending you energy and VERVE for packing! ;)
SusieJ said…
Oh... I feel that... that wandering heart. I'm glad you have that photo.
I like how the photo of the kids on the merry go round looks "hot" Very warm looking.

Popular Posts