bored kids get chores

It took him all summer to say it.

"I'm bored."

I thought I had broke my kids of this annoying habit during the winter when I would give them chores in response to this complaint. A languishing plea to be entertained.

Being bored, even in a house staged to sell, tells me that there is an imbalance in the force, Luke. It means I haven't divvied life's tasks into the all play I think it should be.

(The Casa de Milton believes in equality; leisure and hard work are equally encouraged and embraced, for each member of the family.)

He said it and he wished he could change his answer. I think he meant he was tired.

But not to worry. I bet I can find something to occupy his time.

Comments

Nora said…
I read an article once where the kid said he was bored and the mom said, why don't you try beating your head against the wall, then you might think of something to do.
JCK said…
That is such a great idea! I've also read that being bored is a good thing. It teaches children to have to deal with boredom. So many parents have their kids going from one scheduled activity to the next that they don't have a chance to get bored and then use their imagination to figure it out. Or their mom. ;)
holly said…
i SO give mine chores masked as fun things to do.
then when she cries boredom i add "but not bored enough to do the things *i* told you too, eh?"

Popular Posts