the suburban artiste; taking this show on the road, or trying anyway

Now is the time when the battle begin: My bloggy brain says 'stay awhile, in this comfy chair and drown in blog-reading heaven' while the rest of me knows I have things to do. Tangible things. Things that demand getting dressed and going to the school and creating waterpaper apple die-cuts because I said I would for Art Discovery. My mouth said yes and so I am following through. Stupid mouth.

But my mouth has said other things too. (I'm chatty.) Like, I am going to work on my short story and there is a novel I've been dragging my feet on. Here it is October, and I am avoiding writing fiction because I have no idea where to start. It's new and difficult so I took action: God help me, I've signed up for a writing seminar.

I just finished the required reading this morning and the anxiety is setting in. Portland is teeming with hip hipster-type people that write and I can't help but imagine they are going to sniff out my PTA status and scowl. Or maybe that's my burgeoning inferiority complex showing. They (the people I imagine, with all the courage and coolness) will probably be amazing and gracious, scared and nervous too - I'm being a big non-hip wuss. Not that it matters because I am going, I'm taking a step.

I'll be the supergeek up front, taking notes and plotting dinner. It may not be glamorous, but I never imagined my life could be this sweet.
__________
Technorati Tags:, , , , ,

Comments

Suzanne said…
Good for you with the taking action! I, too, have started things that may or may not ever be finished. Two YA novels, a rhyming picture book, and countless short stories. I'm the queen of ideas, and the idiot of follow-through.
Daisy said…
Yay! Good for you! I totally admire writers -- heck, I get writers block when blogging. I can't imagine a BOOK! Good for you and keep going.
lapoflux said…
GO MAMA MILTON!

Sit at the front and don't look back too much. And I am sure that your PTA-ness is only apparent to you.

Good luck!
stephanie said…
Yay you! I wanna come...We could be uber-geeks together.

Popular Posts