The rodent returns

Friday morning began with big, sloppy tears - tears on my pillows, tears on my robe. I came out of the shower and Lexi was sobbing.

Her beloved hamster, Snickers, had been officially missing for 24 hours, and her optimism had turned to despair. He hadn't returned. We couldn't find him.

{And I worried, privately, that our dog Sophie had scored a warm meal.}
She cried all morning.

Brushing her teeth reminded her of the 'cute way he yawned'.

She pondered what kind of syrup Snickers would choose for his waffles, if he was around, if he had waffles.

Sad, sad, sad.

She pulled it together long enough to play with friends and ride her bike. She started looking forward to the next pet. She was picking out names.

Then dinner came and there was more crying, more misery.

She finally fell asleep on the couch.

That's when we saw Snickers scooting across the floor, on a grand adventure. I cornered him in the bathroom while Greg ran to get his pet carrier.

There was jubilation! Cheers! Excitement! And that was just the parents whooping it up.

Welcome back little critter. Now turn in your passport; you aren't going anywhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So glad to hear that Snickers didn't go on a one-way adventure! I can only imagine the tragedy in the Milton household!!! Maybe he was in search of a roommate...

T
Jen Beatty said…
Glad to hear that all is well again in the hamster cage. I know that's been a major ordeal at your home (for instance, on Friday night when I came to pick up Zach). YEAH!!!

-DB
Jen Beatty said…
Let the heavens be praised!! Your creature has returned to his beloved owner! Lowered blood pressure awaits all parents involved.

Jen Beatty :)
Anonymous said…
My hamster escaped one time when I was a kid. She was pregnant and burrowed into the insides of the couch. My parents were panicked that she would give birth in the couch, so my Dad cut the back of the couch open to retrieve my critter. Needless to say, that was my last hamster...

Congrats on the recovery. Type of syrup, that is classic.

-Stu

Popular Posts